I make my own frame of mind, and therefore, I choose to be contented. I want to be a force for Good. If I am dependent on others to determine my level of contentment, I will lose my serenity when (not if) they change their moods. I will cede my desires and my capability of being a source of Good, and follow the whims of others. That is not how I wish to live, nor how I see my role on the earth.
Yesterday I tried an experiment. I drove toward home after an appointment. The sky glowered, low and gray, and the wind whipped up a chill. From inside my cozy car, I decided to bless all I saw. I thought about each person I saw and stated something positive aloud:
- A man sitting on the bench at a bus stop, huddled over: “Stay warm.”
- The UPS delivery van driver coming toward me: “You help so many people.”
- A group of teens standing at the corner after school: “Have fun with your friends.”
- Someone getting into a car: “Drive safely.”
At each utterance, I felt a frisson of joy. I was sending good wishes, blessings, into the universe! I changed the world.
Focusing on the pleasant readjusts my attitude, too. I could have been vexed by the pokey driver who was somewhat erratic, seeming to pull over then come back to the center of the road. Instead, I said kindly, “I can understand your confusion, but next time, please use a signal.” I do it other times, too:
- Hearing sirens in the distance: “I pray nobody is ill or in need. Please help them and may the responders be protected.”
- Seeing a flock of birds whirl above: “How beautiful your flight is.”
- Commenting on a person’s appearance: “Your hair looks so nice.”
- A helicopter circles above: “Let the police be assisted in their duties.”
- At an intersection: “I am glad all cars stopped and drivers are patiently waiting.”
Our words have power. When I choose to focus on the pleasant, or on the condition of others, not only do I change myself, but I also let loose power in the world. We understand that the Creator used words to create everything. Modern science shows that our thoughts change our brain biochemistry. Nothing is random, it is all connected.
So for today, I choose to manifest Goodness and Pleasantness. May my comments inspire others to be positive, embrace serenity, and be happy.