Poor me. I have a cold. Sneezing. Coughing. Achy. Runny eyes and nose. It’s the season. Tea with honey, tea with lemon. No dairy. Well, maybe ice cream….
Chicken soup! (Not at the same time as the ice cream, though.)
I thought of a way to get through the experience. Make it fun The Price Is Right-style, 1 with games and prize levels! Here are some of the games I’m dreaming up.
- Tissue toss. Aim for the wastebasket across the room without missing it.
- Tissue pile. Variation on Tissue toss. How high can you pile them before they scatter everywhere?
- Tea consumption test. See how long you can go without visiting the toilet after drinking numerous cups of tea.
- Where’s my Chapstick™? Locate the missing cylinder before your lips crack completely.
- Hold that cough! Amaze your family with creative grimaces while stifling coughs.
- Kleenex™ Countdown. Find creative ways to conserve the last 5 tissues in the last box in the house.
- Chicken soup round-up. Compare your grandmother’s chicken soup with your own recipe, the local deli’s, and that of your nice neighbor.Matzah balls get extra points.
- Rate that ache. Aching head, sore chest from coughing. Rank the pains and chart them over the day.
- Startled situps. Count how many times you wake suddenly from a need to cough and sit up abruptly. Extra points for waking your spouse.
- Chloraseptic™ croak. Record your singing with your sore throat. Spray Chloraseptic™. Record singing again. Which is better?
- What color is my…? This can be played using various bodily effluvia.
- Sick days giveaway. Count how many sick days you are wasting while keeping everyone in your office safe from your germs.
- Sleep marathon. Try to sleep. How long can you sleep when all you want to do is sleep but you need to rise for the bathroom, another cup of tea, or from coughing spasms?
- Cough syrup countdown. Will you go without coughing for 6 hours before taking another dose?
- Painkiller pursuit. Find that Tylenol™ tablet that rolled out of your hand and under the bathroom sink.
- Lung lifts. Breathe. Don’t inhale deeply. Breathe again.
- Why me? Venture into the philosophical when you ponder the age-old question “why me” when you’re the only one who gets sick and your spouse is never sick. (“Vengeance from a Higher Power” may not be used as an answer. It’s a virus.)
And there you have it. The Cold Games™. (I am so clever I crack myself up.)
What can you come up with?
1. The Price Is Right (TPIR) seems to inspire a lot of my imagination. “I want to go to California and be a contestant on TPIR.” https://batya7.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/a-n-e-w-car/ (“A N-E-W Car!”) ↩